Tuesday, May 25, 2010

First Day Of Every May

The first day of every May is an unforgettable day for me. It reminds me of someone who I fall in love with when I was twenty-one. That was a very long time ago, and yet I think of her on every May Day. It is her birthday.


Way back in the 1960's life style was very much different. I met this girl (Mabel) at a party. To me, she was a dream of my life but that dream did not last long. We broke up after five months when someone came into her life. I was earning a miserable income while the other person was very much better of. So I had to let go. That was my first lesson of how difficult it is in letting go and moving on. She changes my life.


One day twenty three years later, I met her while she was working as a sale person. I was pleased to see her again. I sent her twenty three red roses and invited her for lunch. Over lunch, we talked. She married the other person (Tony) and had a daughter. Before marriage, they broke off, but after some time they were back together. She told me she was only sixteen when we first met. I never knew until then. I told her I have three families.


That was the only lunch we had. Occasionally, I passed by her counter to say hello. Later she operated a beauty saloon. My third wife and I were her customers for a while. We lost touch after she shifted her business. That was twenty years ago.


Four years ago we ran into each other at a light rail train station. I was with my younger son, and she was her husband (Tony). We just greeted each other and exchanged a few words. She was surprised when I told her Robin who was twelve was my son not grandson.


Last October we ran into each other again at a bazaar where I was a vendor selling vintage clothing. She related to me her story.


She just got back from USA where her only daughter married an American a few years ago. Tony passed away in May from cancer. She had a stroke two years ago. Her daughter is seeking for divorce and looking forward to return home (Malaysia). How sad to hear all these!


She is a Catholic. All I can comfort her is by telling of letting go and moving on in life. She is sixty today...the dawn of life. For a minute she held my hand. I felt the touch of our friendship from deep within.


I gave her my mobile phone number and forgot to ask her number. I have been waiting in vain for her call. Maybe she lost my number. We lost touch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment